Saturday, August 27, 2011

Toughen Up

Living in a poor town of the Andean sierra has caused me to eschew my previous conceptions about what defines a "normal" lifestyle. After saying farewell to my more high maintenance, materialistic routine at home in the US, I have learned to value the fundamentals of survival. Forget the frills and comforts of home. The possessions and rituals that were so important to me before seem frivolous and unnecessary out here in the wilderness.

How almost two weeks in Samne have made me a stronger woman:

I base the quality of a meal by the amount of meat on my plate.
Reusing dirty socks is a common and acceptable practice.
Showers are cold, quick, and taken only when truly necessary.
I embrace the farmers tan.
Taking care of my appearance means washing my face occasionally.
A little coliform-infested water is no problem every now and then.
Dogs are not friendly companions and should be avoided at all times, as the nicer ones will steal your food and the mean ones growl and attack.
My Nalgene has become one of my closest friends.
Volleyball games are rough and competitive, especially when gambling is involved.
I can sleep in tight quarters and contorted positions if needed.
Cleaning the carpet entails hanging it out on the clothes line and beating it with the end of a mop until all the dust subsides or you run out of energy to continue.
With all the flies around, you will never be without dinner companions. 
Hitchhiking is always preferable to climbing a mountain to reach your destination, although sometimes you have to climb so just do it and don't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment