Saturday, August 13, 2011

And We are Off...

After preparing all school year we, the Princeton Peru Project team, are ready to embark upon our pre-assessment trip to Samne! This pre-assessment will build upon our first exploratory trip of the area undertaken in August of 2010. During our three-week stay we plan to gather sufficient community and technical data to satisfactorily complete a new program application for EWB-USA in addition to establishing community contacts with the Peace Corp volunteer on site, the mayor, the school director and other key community leaders.

Tomorrow (it is not today until I fall asleep), everyone will fly to Lima and gather under the roof of our hostel of choice, the Inka Lodge in Miraflores. The respite will be short as Monday will see us taking an overnight bus to the city of Trujillo. If all goes as planned we should be in Samne by Tuesday evening.

I'm getting tired just thinking about all the traveling we will be doing shortly. I just flew back from Houston last night, spent one night recuperating and then dove into the madness that is EWB. I have been up since 8 a.m. (eep!) getting things ready: packing bags, restocking our first aid kit, trying to heal an impending cold, organizing all our documents and finalizing details.


Behold our well-stocked first aid kit!

And our completed travel-binder, filled with more documentation than you could possibly want: emergency contacts, flight itineraries, hotel bookings, schedule of tasks, 501 mock-up, water kit instructions, etc. It's taken me most of the day to put together so I hope it proves its worth throughout the trip.


That's all I have for now. Expect a longer update the day after-tomorrow when I have gotten some more sleep in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment